caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Party party party!!


Lilly, our Little Firecracker, began celebrating her 1st birthday a few days before July 4 - The Big Day.

Last Friday she donned her "official 4th of July party outfit" for her first party. (She got the outfit from her friend Giuliana - a little girl with Trisomy 18 that turned 11 months on July 4.) That evening she celebrated with some local family members, and her great aunt and my cousin who drove up from Florida, and with my brother, his wife, and son that live out-of-state. (This was her first time meeting cousin J.!)

That party consisted of a meal and of trying to line up all 7 cousins on a couch to take pictures. Not an easy task considering the ages: three babies under 1, two 2-year-olds, a 3-year-old, and a 10-year-old. It was utter chaos but pretty hilarious. One of the babies is an only child and he must have thought it was pure madness.


After that it was cake time. I would love to have been able to say I made Lilly a special, beautifully decorated cake but alas, I just didn't have the time or energy. I consoled myself that it didn't really matter since she wouldn't exactly be eating any of it. (Though I did give her a tiny dab of frosting on her tongue. She recoiled in disgust!) Ha!

Saturday evening, Lilly put back on her party attire for her next party. This one was being thrown by our church pastor and his family. I never did have a baby shower for Lilly as I was afraid of what might happen. But this 1st birthday seemed to be a proper time to really celebrate her life with church friends. Some of my family attended that party too. We had a potluck meal, a pinata (Lilly dozed through kids wacking on it until it broke), and a GIANT cake. Pictures of this party are below.


Lilly sitting by the cake:




















This cake served 96 people! It surely weighed more than Lilly does!















Decorations were orgami paper lilies made by a sweet girl from church:















Lilly preferring to chew on her thumb rather than eat any cake:















Sunday night we celebrated Lilly's birthday eve by driving a few blocks over to watch the town's fireworks. While waiting for them to start, I recounted to Lilly her amazing birth story. She listened politely. Then when the fireworks began, I stayed in the car with Lilly because I thought they might bother her. But then, unable to resist my 2-year-olds squeals of delight, we got out and joined the family. The noise didn't bother Lilly at all (a positive to having some hearing loss I guess) and she seemed fascinated by the all the lights in the fireworks.

On Lilly's actual birthday we went to visit Pop, my father-in-law, in the hospital. He and Mom, my mother-in-law, were happy to celebrate with Lilly. Pop has never been able to speak much since his stroke in February, and sadly now has kidney poisoning and isn't expected to live more than another week or two. (Please pray for comfort for the family, especially his wife.) But when he saw Lilly he gave her a big smile. I reminded him that he came to see Lilly on the day she was born and he nodded attentively. He enjoyed our other children too. Our son is a "third" and named after Pop.

I have a nice little stash of red, white, and blue clothes for Lilly now, and she is continuing to celebrate her life by wearing a different one of those outfits each day this week. Hey - we'll probably do it all month long! I really dislike statistics, but I do like one I heard this spring. That of the children with Trisomy 18 that make it to one year, 60% make it to 5 years. What a more encouraging statistic than only 10% making it to one year. We are so grateful to God for allowing Lilly to live!

"It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to your name, O Most High;" - Psalm 92:1

So many of you have been so generous with gifts and cards for Lilly. Thank you! Lilly plans to get working on her thank you notes asap!

7 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm.... Lilly! Did you only try to be polite about your wonderful birth story? :-D

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy, wonderful celebration! I'm so glad you are still getting to enjoy her. And thank you for sharing the statistic of what happens to our kids after they turn one. You're right, it's much more positive than what we were told earlier. Praying for many, many more birthdays for your little Firecracker. (And I really do love her nickname.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy Lilly enjoyed all the birthday celebrations - sounds like the whole family had a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. little granddaughter,
    you have turned out to be such a party animal!
    how wonderful to have all 7 of my grandchildren together at once -- and all for your party!
    love,
    mah mah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Lilly; what great photos!!!!
    Here's to many more with your family!
    Cindy
    (Jordan's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time there is a family picture to be made,
    someone needs to video the adults!

    Lilly, you "SPARKLED" on your birthday!

    I am glad you were able to spend your actual birth day with your dear POP. What a wonderful present to him.

    You are greatly loved.

    ReplyDelete